Monday, May 27, 2013

Good pain vs bad pain


“Even when you have gone as far as you can, and everything hurts, and you are staring at the spectre  of self-doubt, you can find a bit more strength deep inside you, if you look closely enough.” 

Hal Higdon



It’s 05:30 on a Bank Holiday Monday morning. I can’t sleep. My legs feel like lead. My knees hurt. My ankles are killing me. My feet are throbbing. My toes feel like they are ready to burst.

Pain is a warning sign; it can signify imminent or actual injury. Hamstring strains, shin splints, ITB problems, Achilles tendonitis. All bad pain.

On Friday and Saturday, I ran 113 miles along the Cleveland Way; through the night across the Yorkshire Moors and then down the beautiful Yorkshire coastline on a gorgeous English summer’s day.

The difference between good pain and bad pain?

Good pain gets you one of these!


2 comments:

Ultras and a lttle bit more said... [Reply to comment]

Great to get to know you Richard. Hope all the hurt goes away soon. As you say , at least it is good pain. Had a long sleep and lie in and now feel more human. Muscles feel OK but feet are a bit trashed and really need to sort out my cough/ throat.

Richard Lendon said... [Reply to comment]

@Ultras and a lttle bit more
Thanks Karen - yes, I've been pottering around quite happily today. I find that the more I do these mad things, the quicker I recover. Not quite ready to run yet!!

Post a Comment