Wednesday, April 04, 2018

A Cautionary Tale

January 10th 2016. It’s the first night of the Spine and I’m running towards Gargrave. Fresh snow on mud has led to several slips and slides. My groin is a bit sore but no big deal. Leaving Hawes the following day, my groin has stiffened up and takes a couple of miles to loosen off. No big deal. However, after Middleton, I can barely climb over the stiles and have to pull out. I’m obviously disappointed but I assume the injury will settle with a couple of week's rest. After all I’m an ultrarunner and I’m indestructible.

On the running front, 2015 had been a wonderful year. My 2nd Spine finish, running the Camino de Santiago (500 miles) in 12 days, 10th place in the Lakeland 100, and a UTMB finish. I’d run over 3500 miles.

Not being good at the rest and recovery thing, my planned 2-week rest turned into 10 days. I needed another challenge; something to make up for the disappointment of the Spine. Viking Way Ultra at 148 miles was just ticket. Despite never being happy with my running, I achieved my 2nd finish. I had a massive 5 days rest.

I trained really hard for that years Lakeland 100…too hard. I wanted to beat the previous year’s result/time. I was ill the week before the race and despite feeling OK on the startline, had no energy at all and pulled out at Wasdale Head. Had a few days off.

In October, I tied 1st with Tom Hollins in the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Ultra. On hindsight this was the last time I ran fluidly.

My groin was still niggling away but no big deal. After all I could still run as per usual and at some stage I would have a good rest. And after all, I’d managed to run 3200 miles that year so couldn’t possibly be injured properly.

Next big race was the 2017 edition of The Spine. I trained hard, really hard. I was in great shape. However, if I stopped for a few minutes during a long run, my groin would stiffen up. But it wasn’t really a big deal. I picked up a flu-like illness the week before the race, swapped into the Challenger and managed 30 miles before my legs totally gave up.

Groin was an issue now, stiffening up after most runs. However, the summer version of the Spine was on my radar – I would rest properly after that. My knee was also playing up now but I could still run OK.

With the disappointment of the Spine still hanging over me, I entered the Viking Way again. I was going along in 2nd place but I couldn’t really get going and I couldn’t really be bothered. I pulled out at 60 miles.

Next up was the Liverpool to Manchester Ultra. By now I was having to really nurse my body in the lead up to a race. I was happy to place 12th on a very flat course but never really felt I was running smoothly.

Summer Spine was next and I totally planned to have a really good rest after it. I had coaxed myself back into really good shape. Although initially sore, my knee and groin quickly settled and I had virtually the perfect 3 days running. I was going to bloody win the thing!! Then my blood sugar decided to sabotage me and I was withdrawn from the race.

I was distraught. Although I had run 190 miles, I hadn’t finished so hadn’t capitalised on all the training. I needed to do one last big challenge before getting myself better. I had 4 days rest before running in the Bampton Sports Day 9km fell race. I had another 3 days off before getting back into training for the Ultra GB 200 mile race.

Thinking you can run 200 miles with a broken body is probably stretching optimism to its limit. I had a dreadful run. I just couldn’t get going. My groin and knee were sore. After about 40 miles, I sneezed and got acute pain into…spoiler alert…my left testicle. Or left lower plumnadular region as my brothers would call it. That didn’t feel right at all. I pulled out at 60 miles.

But I still needed to capitalise on all that training. I needed to plug the hole that the summer Spine had left – it was still torturing me. A stage race in Burgos, Spain, popped up on my timeline. Just the ticket.

By now my knee and groin were taking turns in hurting during nearly ever run. I was also getting pain over my symphysis pubis, and every time I coughed or sneezed I got the aforementioned “lower groin” pain.

Imaginatively, I used the Cumbria Way Ultra as training for the Burgos race. Although I came 2nd ,  I never really felt like I was running properly. I couldn’t really stretch out especially on the downhills.

Burgos was brilliant but I was very aware of my groin and knee all week. Substantial stretching got me to the finish line.

Rest time.

So I had 10 days off. After all, ultrarunners are indestructible…aren’t we?

First run was sort of Ok. After it, I did a few core exercises and felt something ‘go’ in my groin/pelvis. Pain on walking in the morning…after I’d tried to run again. 

On November 2nd 2018, 22 months after the initial injury, I finally made the decision to rest completely until it got better.

3 months later, despite physio, it wasn’t. I was referred to a Sports Medicine consultant who arranged some scans and the full horror was uncovered.

1. Bilateral inguinal disruption = basically hernias (or herniae for accuracy) 
2. Adductor longus & brevus tendonopathy with partial tear of longus = a knackered groin 
3. Complex degenerative tear to medial meniscus = knackered knee

Treatment:

1. At the beginning of March, I had surgery for the inguinal issue. Seems to have been successful. My surgeon has given me the go ahead to do some light training including some short sprints…whatever they are.
2. Ongoing physio but likely to remain an issue
3. Tough…basically

I’ve done a couple of hard walks on the fells with ‘jogging’ the downhills. I haven’t been brave enough to try a run yet. 

The reality is that I’m unlikely to ever get back to the level that I was at. My main goal is just to get onto the startline of something. To be able to go out and play properly. 

Listen to your body.

We all say it but how many actually do?

I often see posts along the lines of “I’m doing a certain race, would it be Ok/sensible to do another the weekend before?” Well it might be OK, and you may be absolutely fine. However, somewhere along the line you may suffer the consequences.

I ran over 3000 miles in 2014, 2015 and 2016, and would have in 2017 if I had managed to run all year. I had a fabulous time, seeing new places, meeting new people and had some great experiences. But I also broke myself and that leaves a big hole.

I’m an ultrarunner but I am not indestructible.


No comments:

Post a Comment